Adapted from Angela Hartnett’s recipe for Banana Breakfast Loaf
Makes: 1 x 2lb loaf
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 70 g walnuts halves
- 25 g unsalted butter – melted & cooled
- 3 ripe bananas
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 75 g wholemeal bread flour
- 55 g white spelt flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pre-heat your oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas 4 and line a 2lb loaf tin and set aside.
- Place the walnuts into the TM bowl and grind 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn the walnuts out into a separate container.
- Weigh the butter using the TM scales and melt in the micro-wave. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Peel the bananas, break in half and place into the TM bowl. Mash for 5 sec/speed 5.
- Add the golden caster sugar, two eggs, both flours, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ground walnuts and cooled butter. Mix for 6 sec/speed 6.
- Pour and scrape out the mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Place into the middle of your pre-heated oven and set your timer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and test with a small sharp knife. If the blade comes out clean from the centre, the loaf is cooked. If not place back into the oven for a further 5 minutes and then check again.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the cake tin for approximately 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling wire and allow to cool before slicing.
Thermomixing with Malcy – Recipe TIPs:
- Loaf tins – I usually only use George Wilkinson loaf tins – 2lb, 1lb and mini tins for individual loaves (100g dough per mini-tin).
- You can replace the golden caster sugar with light brown moscovado sugar.
- The Banana Bread is lovely served while it is still warm.