Curry Paste – Ingredients
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 shallots
- 1 heaped tsp shrimp paste
- 1-2 sticks lemongrass – finely shredded
- 1 tsp galangal root – peeled
- 1 tsp fish sauce
1. Dry-fry the chilli, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and peppercorns in a frying pan to release the flavours.
2. Place all the curry paste ingredients into mixing bowl and grind 40 sec/speed 10to a fine paste, scrape down the sides as required with spatula. Transfer to an air-tight container and set aside.
Massaman Curry Ingredients – Serves 4
• 1 – 2 tbsp massaman curry paste (above)
• 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
• 250g potatoes – cubed 2cm
• 1 cinnamon stick – snap in half
• 4 green cardamom pods – crushed
• 3 – 4 chicken breasts – trimmed and cubes
• 1 tsp light muscovado sugar
• 2 limes – juiced
• 1 tbsp fish sauce
• 4 tbsp peanuts – dry fry or toast
• sliced red chilli – to serve
• shredded basil – to serve
• wedges of lime – to serve
• 300g – 400g long grain, basmati or jasmine rice (wash as required).
1. Add the thick creamy half of the coconut milk into the mixing bowl. Add the curry paste and cook 10 min/100oC/speed 2, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid to prevent splashing.
2. Add the rest of the coconut milk and cook 3 min/100oC/speed 1.
3. Insert the butterfly whisk.
4. Carefully add the cubed chicken, cinnamon and cardamom to both sides of the butterfly whisk. Add the sugar, lime and fish sauce and taste to achieve a desired flavour.
5. Insert simmering basket, weigh rice into it.
6. Add cubed potatoes into the varoma, spread out, lightly season and cook 20 min/100oC/reverse/stir.
7. Once the potatoes are nearly tender, carefully remove the simmering basket, add potatoes to the curry mixture and cook for 5 min/100oC/reverse/stir, leaving butterfly whisk in place.
8. Serve in hot bowls and garnish the curry sprinkled with peanuts, chilli, basil and mini lime wedges.
Thermomixing with Malcy TIP – made in larger quantities, this Massaman Curry Paste will store in your refrigerator between 01 and 05 degrees C for up to 3 months in an air-tight container.